Slain boy’s mother still in serious condition

The mother of a boy killed in a knife attack on Monday night in Tyrone remains hospitalized in Altoona Hospital as a result of injuries she suffered in the attack.
A spokesperson for Altoona Regional Medical Center said Christina Muoio was still listed as “serious” as of this morning.
Authorities continue to look for the person who attacked Muoio and her six-year-old son Jared Klien. The boy died within minutes of being stabbed in the neck. The attack occurred shortly before 10 p.m. on Monday at 1550 Pennsylvania Avenue. The Blair County Chief Deputy Coroner Jeff Guyer confirmed the boy died at 10:10 p.m. Monday at the scene.
An autopsy was conducted yesterday at J.C. Blair Hospital in Huntingdon. Guyer told The Daily Herald that Dr. Gordon Handte conducted the autopsy. The boy died as a result of a single stab wound to the left side of his neck. Guyer said the boy bled to death as a result of hemorrhaging that occurred.
The Associated Press reported police responding to a 911 call on Monday night and found the boy fatally stabbed and his mother beaten. Initial reports indicated multiple persons might have been assaulted. However, authorities have only confirmed the death of the boy and the injuries to his mother.
AP said someone called police at about 10 p.m. Monday to report there was a man at the house with a weapon, according to Tyrone Police Chief Joseph Beachem. Authorities have not revealed a motive as of yet.
Authorities continue to try and locate 25-year-old Nathan T. Shaw. They described him as a “person of interest”. The AP report described the man as the mother’s ex-boyfriend. No charges have been filed in the case, according to The Associated Press.
A press release from the Tyrone Borough Police said Shaw is five feet, ten inches and has blue eyes. Police said he might be driving a red 1993 Nissan Sentra. Beachem said Shaw should not be approached. Anyone spotting Shaw or having information the case should call Tyrone Borough Police at 814-684-1365 or 911.
Tyrone police confirmed Shaw had a criminal background and was recently paroled.
State police, the Blair County DA’s office and the coroner’s office assisted the Tyrone Police. A forensic unit of the Pennsylvania State Police remained on the scene yesterday along with Tyrone Police. The townhouse where the crimes occurred remained taped off as a crime scene this morning.
The neighborhood where the attack occurred and the Tyrone community were shocked by the young boy’s death. A neighbor said she knew the family “to say hello.” She said she was at home with her own child when she became aware of the activity on Monday night.
The Daily Herald learned that Jared Klien attended St. Matthew’s School in Tyrone.
The school’s principal Jamie DiDomenico said, “He was a nice, innocent little child. We have such a small school where everyone knows everyone. It’s going to be difficult for the kids. We will have counseling.
“The big city things that are happening are happening right here in Tyrone,” said DiDomenico. “It’s scary when things happen like that.”
DiDomenico said Klien would have celebrated his seventh birthday on January 7. She said beyond counseling for students any other plans the school would have were still undecided. The school is in recess for the holidays until next Monday.