Tyrone Hospital celebrates ‘National Doctor’s Day’

Tyrone Hospital recognized its affiliated medical staff with a celebration held on National Doctor’s Day, March 30. The physician library area was decorated with flowers and balloons and a buffet of snacks was provided for physicians to enjoy as they visited the hospital to do their patient rounds throughout the day.
The first Doctor’s Day observance was March 30, 1933 in Winder, Georgia. Eudora Brown Almond, wife of Dr. Charles B. Almond, decided to set aside a day to honor physicians. This first observance included mailing of cards to the physicians, along with flowers laced on graves of deceased doctors.
On March 30, 1958, a Resolution commemorating Doctor’s Day was adopted by the United States House of Representatives. In 1990, legislation was introduced in the House and Senate to establish a national Doctor’s Day. Following overwhelming approval by the United States Senate and the House of Representatives, on October 30, 1990, President George Bush signed S.J. No. 366 (which became Pubic Law 101-473) designating March 30 as “National Doctor’s Day”.
Pictured enjoying the National Doctor’s Day celebration held at Tyrone Hospital are left to right, John Johnson, M.D., Anesthesiologist and Medical Director of the Keystone Headache and Pain Management Center at Tyrone Hospital and pictured right is Jean Gilot, M.D., Anesthesiologist.