Sports Tyrone Daily Herald Archives

Looking back at TAHS football in 1941

Secretary of Navy, Knox revealed that the Navy had the order to shoot German ships and submarines, in the fall of 1941. American warships had been convoying ships to Iceland since July 1941.
The administration was waiting tensely for some word to indicate Adolf Hitler had ordered German subs withdrawn from the American side of the Atlantic, or whether he intended to defy the U.S. determination to clear the sea lanes between the America and Iceland of Axis warships.
If German subs were ordered to avoid the American side of the Atlantic and concentrate on shipping lanes nearer Britain, it was considered possible that no serious incidents would develop in the immediate future.
At the Wilson Theatre, Bud Abbott and Lou Costello with the Andrews Sisters were appearing in “Hold that Ghost.” In mid-week, Henry Fonda and Joan Bennett were starring in “Wild Goose Calling.” Later in the week, it was Spencer Tracy starring in “Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde” with Lana Turner and Ingrid Bergman. Starting the next week, it was Gary Cooper appearing with Walter Brennan and Joan Leslie in “Sergeant York”. At the El Patio, next door, you could see Robert Sterling and Marsha hunt in “I’ll Wait for You,”, with Bill Elliott, Betty Miles and Dub Taylor in “The Return of Daniel Boone” in midweek. Charlie Ruggles, Ellen Drew and Phil Terry in “The Parson of Panamint.” The next week it would be Brenda Joyce, Jane Darwell and Sheldon Leonard in “Private Nurse.”
You could play Bingo every Tuesday at the Moose Hall at 8 p.m. Admission was 50 cents with all proceeds going to the Tyrone ambulance fund.
With a $1.5 billion Reconstruction Finance Corporation bill and a $6 billion lend-lease measure, the U.S. House of Representatives neared a showdown on the matter of United States aid to Russia. There had been a furor over religious freedom in Russia, and increased support of opponents of the aid in the House, who sought a drastic ban on the funds to Russia.
Federal Loan Administrator Jesse Jones reported the RFC funds were “virtually exhausted.”
Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, however termed the opposition to the lend lease measure as “not dangerous,” and predicted early passage of both bills.
One day later, Rayburn was proved to be right on target as a House committee gave the O-K to the $^ billion lend lease measure.
The measure carried funds for the building of a $10 million naval base for Great Britain and supplying that nation with 135 American flag merchant ships to carry goods to the Red Sea.
This increased appropriations voted during that session of Congress to $60 billion-more than double the record single-session spending during the World War.
Army Chief of Staff Gen.. George G. Marshall made a statement that “the German leaders should always have before them the constantly growing power of America to thwart their plan of world domination.”
Faculty manager Grant Hixson announced during the week that with 3,643 single admission tickets sold, plus some 800 season tickets, the crowd for the Tyrone/Philipsburg game was the largest in the history of Gray Memorial Field.
On Oct., 24, 1941, Clearfield put a lone touchdown on the scoreboard at Gray Memorial Field in the third quarter and hung on to stop Tyrone’s 29-game unbeaten regular season streak. The Bisons, who dealt the Golden Eagles a 6-0 defeat, had also been the last team to knock off Tyrone, a 13-7 decision in the second week of the 1939 campaign. Tyrone would also compile a 29-game unbeaten streak from week five of the 1946 season, to the opening game of the 1949 schedule, when Bellwood-Antis would carve out a 15-0 decision over the Orange and Black. The school record was set this season, and once again, it was Clearfield, who was the culprit, edging the Eagles 35-34 in a shootout on Sept. 19, 2008, breaking a string that had reached 35 games without a loss.
Clearfield’s score was a play that didn’t work the way it was supposed to, but with luck, was still enough to find the Tyrone end zone. With the ball at the T-46, the Clearfield quarterback tossed a pass to his intended receiver. The ball went right through his hands and bounced right into the arms of another Bison, who sprinted the final 30 yards for the touchdown.
A hard-fought contest, before some 4,000 fans, it was one of the toughest and hardest fought game in years at Gray Memorial Field.
There were few highlights for the Eagles. Ralph “Red” Thomas started a second quarter series with a nine-yard gain off right tackle, followed by a 10-yard pickup around right end by Raymond Robinson, but the drive stalled. Then in the second quarter, a Clearfield punt gave Tyrone the ball at their own 23. Elmer Parker went around right end for eight yards and Robinson plunged through center for a first down, but was hurt on the play. Thomas ran a reverse for 13. Parker passed to Richard Fisher for 15 yards and a first down, then went around left end for seven more. Another Parker to Fisher pass went for seven yards and Parker went wide to the right for eight and a first down. On the final play of the first half, with the ball at the C-4, a Calvin Noel pass was intercepted to thwart the most serious Tyrone threat.
The Clearfield win over Tyrone gave Tyrone, Clearfield and Philipsburg, all 4-1 records in the Bald Eagle Conference, with Clearfield beating Tyrone, Tyrone beating Philipsburg and Philipsburg knocking off Clearfield.