|Class of 1948 donates artwork
The Tyrone Area High School class of 1948 recently donated a painting, created by local artist Joe Ieraci, to the Tyrone History Museum. The class wanted to create something special for the community in honor of their 60th class reunion. From left are class members George Stevens, Gloria Hooper and Donna Nowlin, along with Ieraci and Tyrone Area Historical Society President, Nancy Smith. (The Daily Herald/Amanda Golden)
When the Tyrone Area High School class of 1948 recently got together to begin planning for their 60th reunion, the group wanted to do something special for their hometown.
That’s when the idea came about to have a painting created, depicting the downtown Tyrone streetscape.
The class went to local artist Joe Ieraci with their request and he was happy to create the painting.
Ieraci works in a variety of media including watercolor, pen and ink, oil and acrylic. His subject matter is also varied with pieces featuring wildlife, landscape and portraits.
An artist for more than 30 years, Ieraci is known for painting varied subject matter on a wide variety of surfaces. Last year, his work was on featured with a display at the Tyrone Hospital Art Gallery.
The finished product shows the buildings of downtown Tyrone as they line the streets. Also included is the Lincoln School building which served as the area high school prior to its years as an elementary school.
The minute details of each brick and the windows of every storefront are amazingly recreated.
A Golden Eagle and the Tyrone “T” are also included in the artwork.
The picture was on display during the 60th reunion and class members in attendance all added their name to back of the artwork.
The painting was carefully framed by 1948 graduate George Stevens.
Earlier this month, representatives of the class of 1948 visited the Tyrone History Museum, along with Ieraci, and presented the painting to be displayed for all of Tyrone to enjoy.
The artwork is on display at the museum, and anyone interested is invited to stop by and enjoy the Tyrone scene. The museum is open Sunday and Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m.
This entry was posted in News
, Tyrone Daily Herald Archives
. Bookmark the permalink