Sports Tyrone Daily Herald Archives

Looking back at TAHS football in 1941

Rev. Charles B. Peters of Tyrone, in an election supervised by a court-designated committee of three uninterested persons, was chosen legal pastor of the Pentecostal Church on Blair Avenue and 12th street. This ended litigation and controversy that had deprived the church of a pastor for more than four months.
Rev. Peters received 62 votes, while Rev. E. O. Leeper, of New York state, his sole opponent, received 17.
The committee of three disinterested persons consisted of William Robert Fuoss, chairman, and Bruce P. Carpenter, secretary, both of Tyrone, but neither identified with the Pentecostal Church, and Rev. Dr. Wesley R. Steelberg, of Philadelphia, pastor of the Highway Pentecostal Tabernacle and adjucator of the Pentecostal Churches of America.
Rotherts Furniture at 27-35 West 10th Street had a storage chest waterfall style and modern design for $12.95, or an electric iron, automatic, 1,000 watts fully guaranteed and approved for $5.95. Payments of 75 cents per week could be made. Also, Rotherts had all metal bridge sets of four chairs, and table, sturdy and durable  in bronze for $10.95 during the second week of the football season. Wolf Furniture at 1222 PA Avenue had a Frigidaire refrigerator, fully fitted inside and out with 6.1 cubic feet of space, for only $129.75, with easy terms-more than a million sold with 30 features. Or, you could buy a 15-piece kitchen ensemble for $4.95, including a bread box, waste paper basket, step-on garbage can, dust pan, canisters for coffee, sugar and salt, and a set of seven knives with stainless steel blades. Carl Fry at 604 West 18th Street was carpenter and builder when you needed one, working on hardwood floors, laid and sanded, with estimates cheerfully given. Or you could try Harry Beaston builder, contractor at 1950 Adams Avenue. For dairy needs, you could try the John Hagg Jr. dairies, while food shopping at Heberlings Store at 1658 Columbia Ave. was a place where “courtesy dwells and service excels.”
High school football tickets cost $2.50 for a season ticket, a savings of $3.15 over the single-game price of 35 cents per seven varsity contests, plus an extra 25 cents for reserved seats, and four junior varsity games.
Although the United States was not yet officially in the war, it would take the bombing of Pearl Harbor in Dec. 1941 to accomplish that, President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared that the U.S. was “determined to aid defeat of ‘forces of insane violence,’” to protect delivery of war materials to Great Britain and Russia-by whatever means necessary.
One of the president’s first appointments was with Social Security Administrator Paul V. McNutt. It was understood McNutt would succeed Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia as director of civilian defense. LaGuardia, the three-time mayor of New York City was facing a tough re-election fight and desired to resign from the civilian defense position that involved the job of training American citizens to be air raid wordens, volunteer fire fighters nurses and the like.
On Friday, Sept. 12, 1941, Tyrone invaded Mount Union for the opening game of the 1941 football season. Football games began at 8:30 p.m. at that time.
The Golden Eagles hopes for another conference championship almost hit a snag with the Orangemen emerging with just a 6-0 victory over the Trojans. The first half was a see-saw affair with neither team able to mount much offense, except for an occasional flash here and there.
Bob Beckwith scooted 12 yards following an Trojan fumble, on the last play of the first quarter and Ken Noel followed that with a gain of 18. Red Thomas bulled through for a pickup of 10 yards, but lost the ball on a fumble that was recovered by Osceola at their own 11-yard line.
The Tyrone defense blocked a second-quarter punt, but the Eagles fumbled at the MU-9 to thwart that drive.
In the third quarter, Thomas quick-kicked to the MU-8 and MU-3 on successive series early. Finally on another series, the Tyrone defense pushed Mount Union back to their own two-yard line. Tyrone broke through on the next play to again block the kick. The ball fell into the hands of Tyrone guard Lee Port, who grabbed the football and stepped into the end zone for the touchdown.
In the fourth quarter, Mount Union drove to the T-6, before the Eagle defense took the ball on downs.