Categories
News Tyrone Daily Herald Archives

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the St. Gregory Council of the Knights of Columbus

The St. Gregory Council of the Knights of Columbus just completed a year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the council.
St. Gregory Council No. 1218 was organized on April 21, 1907. The first chaplain was Reverend Gregory M. Kelly who was one of the first organizers. He was pastor at St. Matthew Church from 1904-1912. The council bears his patronal name to this day.
For over 100 years the Knights of Columbus have been described as the “strong right arm of the Catholic Church” in providing help to the needy of the area, as well as financial support to the many projects at St. Matthew’s.
In 1987 the Knights provided burial for the remains of Baby Agnes Doe. They dedicated the Respect Life Meditation area in 1991 to Baby Agnes, as well as a focal point for the Annual Respect Life March. For the past 21 years the council has sponsored this march where nearly 150 supporters gather to publicly express their respect for life at all stages from the moment of conception until natural death. In 2007 the council rededicated the area, and provided financial support for Jonathan Hampton’s Eagle Project, which included a new Blessed Mother Statue, benches and new patio pavers around the area.
The Knights also purchased the St. Matthew Statue inside the church that was newly renovated in 2001. The Brothers also built custom fit oak book shelves in the library of St. Matthew Catholic School. They also have helped numerous parishioners from medical equipment to remodeling.
And finally what better way to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Gregory Council than to dedicate a project for the people of Tyrone, and St. Matthew Church. The beautiful granite monument of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes has been recently installed and blessed by chaplain Father Joseph Orr. This beautiful monument was the dream of Brother Michael Gurekovich, now deceased. This monument serves as a reminder for all to follow God’s word, the example of Jesus, and to follow in the footsteps of those dedicated brother Knights who have built this active vibrant council for the past 100 years.