Sports Tyrone Daily Herald Archives

Looking back at TAHS football in 1961

Lugg and Edmonds held their annual Fall sale, in early Oct. 1961, where you could buy luxurious fur-lined coats for $65 to $102.50. Seamless stockings regular $1.65 were $1.39, or three pairs for $4, regular $1.50 were then $1.29 or three pair for $3.70, and regular $1.35 were down to $1.15 or three pair for $3.25. Wolf’s Furniture gave chances to win a new 1962 Chevrolet Corvair as the grand prize in the 59th Anniversary Sale. Triple dresser bedroom suites with large tilting mirror, wide chest, triple dresser, sliding panel book bed and brass hardware in siena, tan or mahogany finishes were just $199, or a double dresser with mirror and a big chest and bookcase bed was only $100.
The Mideast was in a severe upheaval in the fall of 1961. A revolt by the Syrian army against the rule of United Arab Emirate President Gamal Abdel Nassar, sparked the unrest.
The entire area was thrown into the most severe upheaval since 1958, when the Iraqi army toppled its monarchy and Jordan and Lebanon summoned British and American troops to protect themselves against internal and external agitation.
Ever since the union of Egypt and Syria into the United Arab Emirate in Feb. 1958, diplomatic observers in the Middle East had been predicting its eventual collapse. Few however, expected it to be so soon or with such suddenness as it did in late Sept. 1961.
Syrian businessmen were angered by Nassar’s steady drive toward a socialist economy. There was also wide-spread irritation over Syria’s decline from a powerful independent country, to the status of a province ruled from Cairo.
The crowning blow appeared to be the resignation of Abde Hamid Serraj, former Syrian strongman, as a U.A.R. vice-president, apparently because he felt he had been given a mere figurehead post with no real power.
Serraj, was arrested on charges of trying to “subvert” the uprising that had broken out as the regime of Premier Mamoun Al-Kuzbari moved to consolidate its power in Syria.
Apparently, it was reported that Serraj was opposed to the mutiny by the Syrian army. Reports from Jerusalem said Serraj had attempted a counter-revolution after the uprising had begun. The counter revolt failed, but Serraj managed to go into hiding. A further report from Beirut, Lebanon, said Serraj was being held incommunicado at his home in Damascus.
In World Series action, the Yankees Whitey Ford pitched a two-hit shutout in a 2-0 opening game win over the Cincinnati Reds, in New York. This was Ford’s third consecutive Series shutout and his eighth win in World Series competition. He was just two and two/thirds innings shy of passing the World Series record held by Babe Ruth when he pitched 29 and 2/3 innings for the Boston Red Sox in the 1916 and 1918 World Series.
The Reds Jim O’Toole pitched a good game, but was tagged for solo home runs by Elston Howard in the fourth inning, and Bill “Moose” Skowran in the sixth.
The Reds came back to take Game Two with Joey Jay pitching Cincinnati to a 6-2 win. Jay struck out six, including Roger Maris, who had broken Ruth’s home run record of 60, with 61 during the regular season, twice with runners on base.
The usually defensively-solid Yankees committed three errors, and Gordy Coleman got Jay a quick 2-0 lead with a homer. A passed ball allowed the third run to score and the Reds added a run in the sixth and two more in the eighth.
Six young men, all from the Tyrone area, were undergoing basic training at the U.S. Army Training Center, Infantry in Fort Dix, New Jersey. They were Charles R. Walk, son of Mrs. John V. Anders, 1411 Bald Eagle Avenue, Paul L. Pavlic, husband of Irene Pavlic, RD 4, Tyrone, James T. Grazier, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard J. Grazier, 426 Washington Avenue, Joseph J. Gurekovich, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose Gurekovich, RD 1, Tyrone, Richard W. Ewing, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clair G. Ewing, Tyrone RD 3, and Robert L. Kimberling, son of Mrs. C.E. Krepps, 622, West 15th Street.
On Friday, Oct. 13, 1961, the Golden Eagles once again gave up the first score and then came storming back to defeat Philipsburg-Osceola 21-6.
Chet Wolford, hard-running left halfback for the Eagles scored three touchdowns for the second consecutive game to bring his total to 13 for the season. Who said Friday the 13th or the number 13 itself was unlucky? Unless of course, you consider it unlucky for Tyrone opponents.
Tyrone was missing two starters. Both guard Sheldon Harper and halfback Ron Cramer were out, plus quarterback Tom Miller was hampered by a leg injury and linemen Gary Greene and Bill Elder both sustained minor injuries in the contest.
Tyrone was able to do very little in the first half and the Mounties capitalized on a break to score a second-quarter TD.
The second half was played in a steady rain, but it didn’t appear to affect the play of either team.
P-O scored on a short march, after Sandy Naylor was unable to get a punt away for Tyrone and the P-O offense set up at the T-17. The Eagle held on that first series, but after taking the ball on downs, Wolford fumbled and P-O took over at the Eagles-16. This time a 15-yard pass and following line plunge netted the score. John Long and Bob Snyder crashed through to block the extra point.
In the third quarter, Snyder blocked a Philipsburg punt and Woods Cunningham recovered at the PO-47. Miller threw incomplete on the first play, then lodged a bomb, that was caught by Carl White for a 42-yard gain to the PO-5. Wolford went two yards and then scored the three-yard TD and rushed for the PAT to put Tyrone in a 7-6 lead they would build on.
Three plays later, White intercepted a Philipsburg pass and ran it back 12 yards to the Mounties-38. After a penalty denied a White TD plunge from two yards out, Wolford toured right ends for a seven-yard score. Naylor’s plunge for the PAT made it Tyrone 14-7.
Tyrone’s final touchdown was set in motion near the end of the third quarter. After White returned a punt 10 yards, the Eagles drove 60 yards for the TD. Wolford had the biggest run of the series motoring the final 34 yards for the tally, shaking loose from several would-be tacklers along the way.
Philipsburg-Osceola came right back to drive the ball to the T-19, but the eagles defense got tough and the Mounties ended up at the T-29 losing the ball on downs.