Categories
News

Church of the Good Shepherd featured at Tyrone History Museum

The most recent church to be featured at the Tyrone History Museum is The Church of the Good Shepherd, located at 1650 Clay Avenue, Tyrone.
Pastor Andrew Bradley stopped by the museum recently to check out the new display. A lot of the credit for the display goes to Joanne Cannistraci, a parishioner who gathered the information to be put together for the display.
The exhibit features photographs, Daily Herald articles and a 50th anniversary program along with lists of pastors and information on the church fire in 1963.
The church, which was originally the Columbia Avenue Methodist Church, was located at 18th Street and Columbia Avenue. On February 26, 1963 the building was heavily damaged by fire. The damage was estimated at roughly $50,000 to $60,000.
The pastor at the time was Leroy Harrison.
The 50th anniversary book from 1941 stated the church was dedicated on Thanksgiving Sunday, November 27, 1891. The church was remodeled and enlarged because of the growth of church membership and Sunday school. The reopening was celebrated with a week of jubilee beginning on Sunday morning, June 3, 1917.
Ground was broken for the new church facility on May 23, 1971. A year later, on May 28, 1972 the first worship service was held in the sanctuary.
After Reverend Harrison\’s exchange of pulpits with the Reverend Eugene R. Steiner of the State Street Church in Harrisburg, the church continued to grow, necessitating an addition. Today, the social hall has become a vital part of church and community life, serving a variety of outreach missions.
Last year, on Sunday, January 22, 2006, the Church of the Good Shepherd, now located on Clay Avenue, celebrated another milestone in its long history.
During a combined morning worship service, a ceremony to burn the mortgage on the church was held. This mortgage was acquired by the church in March of 1997 when ground was broken for an addition consisting of a new kitchen, social hall/gymnasium, elevator, youth area, four restrooms, storage and work areas.
For those wishing to take a look at the Church of the Good Shepherd exhibit, the museum is open Sunday and Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m.