Categories
News

Explosion at Federal Carbide contained quickly

Local emergency personnel responded to an explosion at Federal Carbide Company, along Old Route 220 in Snyder Township, last evening at approximately 5:30 p.m.
According to Paul Morrison, Assistant Fire Chief of Bald Eagle Volunteer Fire Company, the accident occurred when workers at the plant were funneling liquid heptane through a dryer system. As they were funneling it through, the filter ignited, probably due to static electricity.
Morrison said the fire suppression unit was activated, and within 10 seconds the fire was under control.
He indicated that one person was injured, and emergency workers were able to clean him up at the scene. He was then sent to Altoona Regional Health Systems – Altoona Hospital Campus as a precautionary measure.
Morrison said due to a previous health condition, another person was sent to the hospital as a precaution.
“Bald Eagle Fire Company trains with Federal Carbide all the time for this type of emergency. Everything went according to plan,” said Morrison.
“Within 15 minutes the plant was contained and then everything was safe. After a 1/2 hour I gave the go ahead that they could go back into operation.”
He added, “With the training we have done with Federal Carbide, there was nothing new to us. We were well prepared.”
Besides Bald Eagle Fire Company, others called to the scene were Tyrone Hookies, Neptune and Tipton fire companies.