Categories
News

First English Lutheran Church display currently at Tyrone History Museum

The Tyrone Area Historical Society is currently showcasing items from First English Lutheran Church in Tyrone.
Located on the corner of 13th St. and Logan Avenue, the current pastor of First English Lutheran Church is Rev. Susan Haas Yatta. She has been serving the church since May. Andy Smith is responsible for putting the display together including the research and lay out. Sue O’Brien, church secretary, was also a big help.
Originally the German Evangelical Lutheran Zion’s Church, the building was located along Logan Avenue where the current YMCA building sits. In 1872 some members broke away from the congregation, becoming known as the First English Lutheran Church. The original congregation survived until 1917 when most members joined the First English Church.
The present church structure was build and dedicated in 1905. The first full-time pastor was F. L. Bergstresser who served from 1892 until 1907. He was followed by Rev. Edward M. Morgan, who served on two occasions. Rev. Morgan held the longest pastorate in the history of the congregation and is the only pastor to serve on two different occasions. His first ministry was from 1907 to 1911 and his second began in 1920 and lasted until 1944.
In 1954 the church was extensively remodeled and the sanctuary was turned completely around. At that time a balcony was also removed, although the stained glass windows remained in tact.
In 1972, church members celebrated the 100th anniversary with Pastor Paul Kane. All surviving pastors from previous years were also in attendance.
Individuals who stop by the History Museum will be able to see many photos from the First English Lutheran Church, along with articles from the building dedication, information on the church’s pastors, an 1887 Christmas book and hymnals.
Photos include vacation Bible schools, confirmation, the choir, church council and officials, among other things. There is also an information packet describing the church’s history.
Items from First English Lutheran Church in Tyrone will be on display at the Tyrone History Museum, after which another local church will be highlighted. The History Museum is open on Sundays and Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m.

Categories
News

First English Lutheran Church display currently at Tyrone History Museum

The Tyrone Area Historical Society is currently showcasing items from First English Lutheran Church in Tyrone.
Located on the corner of 13th St. and Logan Avenue, the current pastor of First English Lutheran Church is Rev. Susan Haas Yatta. She has been serving the church since May. Andy Smith is responsible for putting the display together including the research and lay out. Sue O’Brien, church secretary, was also a big help.
Originally the German Evangelical Lutheran Zion’s Church, the building was located along Logan Avenue where the current YMCA building sits. In 1872 some members broke away from the congregation, becoming known as the First English Lutheran Church. The original congregation survived until 1917 when most members joined the First English Church.
The present church structure was build and dedicated in 1905. The first full-time pastor was F. L. Bergstresser who served from 1892 until 1907. He was followed by Rev. Edward M. Morgan, who served on two occasions. Rev. Morgan held the longest pastorate in the history of the congregation and is the only pastor to serve on two different occasions. His first ministry was from 1907 to 1911 and his second began in 1920 and lasted until 1944.
In 1954 the church was extensively remodeled and the sanctuary was turned completely around. At that time a balcony was also removed, although the stained glass windows remained in tact.
In 1972, church members celebrated the 100th anniversary with Pastor Paul Kane. All surviving pastors from previous years were also in attendance.
Individuals who stop by the History Museum will be able to see many photos from the First English Lutheran Church, along with articles from the building dedication, information on the church’s pastors, an 1887 Christmas book and hymnals.
Photos include vacation Bible schools, confirmation, the choir, church council and officials, among other things. There is also an information packet describing the church’s history.
Items from First English Lutheran Church in Tyrone will be on display at the Tyrone History Museum, after which another local church will be highlighted. The History Museum is open on Sundays and Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m.