Armed robber hits Tyrone Uni-Mart

The Uni-Mart at W. 20th Street and Adams Avenue was hit by an armed robber shortly before 6 p.m. on Monday.
In a press release to The Daily Herald, Police Chief Joseph Beachem said one of his officers was patrolling nearby the scene of the robbery at the time of the call.
Beachem said a man brandishing a large knife approached the clerk and demanded all the cash in the register. The clerk gave the man the money.
The suspect was described as white and wearing a green coat and a baseball cap.
Officer Michael Metzger saw a man fitting the description on the 2000 block of Columbia Avenue. Beachem said the officer approached the man who ran into DJ’s Bar at the corner of Columbia Avenue and W. 21st Street.
Officer Metzger followed the man into the bar and ordered him to the ground. According to the police press release, Metzger could see a knife under the man’s coat. Beachem said the man would not comply with the officer’s directions and had to be taken into custody at gunpoint.
The knife and some clothing items were seized since they matched the description of items used by the robber at the Uni-Mart. Beachem said additional officers went to the scene to assist with a search for other items used in connection with the robbery.
The store clerk made a positive identification of the man in custody. The clerk said the man and the suspected robber were one in the same.
The suspect was identified as 45-year-old Francis Cyril Campbell aka “Vinny.” Campbell’s last known address was 115 W. 11th St., Tyrone. At the time of his arrest, Campbell claimed to be homeless.
Beachem said the police recovered the suspect’s green coat, a baseball cap, an eight-inch butcher knife and $139 in cash taken from the clerk. Authorities also recovered a videotape of the incident from Uni-Mart as part of their investigation.
Campbell was charged with robbery, terroristic threats, receiving stolen property, harassment, tampering with evidence, simple assault, possession of instruments of crime and disorderly conduct.
Campbell was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Joseph Moran and placed in Blair County Prison in lieu of $25,000 straight bail. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Nov. 1.
Bellwood Police Department also assisted at the scene.