Categories
News

50th anniversary celebration of Birmingham Presbyterian Church this Sunday

Celebration is scheduled to begin on Sunday, September 21 for the 50th anniversary of the Birmingham Presbyterian Church.
Members of the congregation are planning a day of activities on Sunday, starting with morning worship at the church at 10:30 a.m.; rededication of the church cornerstone at 11:30 a.m. and a luncheon at noon.
A special speaker for the day, Travis Young, moderator of the Huntingdon Presbytery, is scheduled to attend the events.
The public is also invited to attend the ceremonies.
It is an exciting time for members of the church as the cornerstone was removed earlier this week from the building. Inside of the cornerstone is a time capsule that has not been opened as of yet.
According to committee chairperson Deb Hoover, “In the cornerstone, there is something in there, but we’re having trouble getting the lid off. Our intention is to see what’s inside it and then add to it.”
Those interested in seeing what is inside of the time capsule will be able to do so on Sunday. The day is also a time of fellowship and homecoming for members of the church. Some members of the church have moved away from Birmingham, so this is an opportunity to share in the memories of the church and to make new ones.
There is some interesting background on the Birmingham Presbyterian Church and town itself.
Starting in 1828, Birmingham had four churches, the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Brethern churches. Of those four, the Birmingham Presbyterian Church is the only one still active.
There are two cemeteries in Birmingham, the Methodist and Presbyterian cemeteries, which date back to the eighteenth century. An interesting fact is that Henry Climbing-hawk, an Indian scout for General Roberdeau is buried in the Presbyterian cemetery.
The history of the Birmingham Presbyterian Church began in 1835 when members started to hold services in the Baptist Church until the first Presbyterian church was built in 1837. Then in 1869 a newer church was built, but it was tragically and completely destroyed by fire in December of 1952.
The current Presbyterian church was built in 1953. Special ceremonies marked the laying of the cornerstone in the summer of 1953, and dedication services were held in December of the same year.
For more information about the Birmingham Presbyterian Church or for questions about the rededication of the cornerstone services, contact the church at 684-3120.