Categories
News

Construction begins on new downtown facade

Construction began early this morning on a new facade for the offices of Edward S. Newlin, Attorney at Law, located at 1009 Pennsylvania Avenue.
When completed the new facade will return to an original look of the 110-year-old building, according to Edward Newlin. According to architect plans a new wood storefront construction to replace the current aluminum will take place at the bottom entrance to the building. The present awning will be removed to expose the original storefront. And painting of the sashes, window frames and shingles will take place.
And to finish the program the current bricks will be chemically cleaned.
Five years ago, the Main Street program in Tyrone did specific proposals and submitted them to downtown business and building owners. Newlin told The Daily Herald this morning that work on his building has been going on inside, but the outside couldn’t be done until now. The building has been on a list for the last one and a half to two years. Maines Engineering and Construction of Tyrone began work on the building this morning.
Former Main Street Tyrone vice president and one of the people involved in the facade subcommittee, Roberta Ramsay, told The Daily Herald “that a lot businesses did new facades when the program was implemented, and its good to see this building is also following suit.”
Also on Monday of this week, the storefront offices of The Daily Herald at 1067 Pennsylvania Avenue, were painted outside including the windows of the second, third and fourth floors. Using the welcome to Tyrone signs that greet people as they enter the community as a guide for the new facade of the newspaper office, a new sign is being ordered to complete the project. Cornerstone Builders and Supplies of Tyrone finished the work in just two days.
The Main Street Tyrone facade program featured matching grants of up to 50% of facade improvements within the main street area. It was established for improvement and restoration of commercial facades and was funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Community Affairs, through the Borough of Tyrone. Several years ago Main Street Tyrone became the Tyrone Community Partnership.