Junior Varsity Eagles Finish Year with 20-12 Loss to Huntingdon

Tyrone’s junior varsity football team finished the season at 4-5 Monday night with a 20-12 loss to Huntingdon. Despite the loss, Head Coach Chuck Banas reacted positively when asked about his players. “The kids didn’t give up. I’m proud of them, they played hard, they don’t quit.”
Neither team could get much going offensively to start the game, with both squads trading punts on their opening possessions. Midway through the first quarter, however, Huntingdon was able to gain an advantage after a low snap on Tyrone’s second punt attempt. The Bearcats swarmed punter Jeremy Myers, and took over on their opponents’ ten yard line. After a pair of runs, running back Dan Hooper scored from 4 yards out, and after an unsuccessful extra point, the Bearcats were ahead 6-0.
Starting with the low snap, Huntingdon decisively won the game of field position. The Bearcat offense started in enemy territory on seven of their eleven possessions, along with starts at their own 48, 49, and midfield. The Golden Eagles started nearly half of their offensive series inside their own 20 yard line.
After the Bearcat score, both teams again traded punts. Once again, however, Huntingdon was able to gain the advantage by getting excellent field position. This time the Bearcats returned a punt to the Tyrone 20, and scored when quarterback Matt Young tossed a 19 yard touchdown pass over the middle. The extra point kick was true, and the Bearcats had opened up their lead to 13-0.
Another offensive drought ensued, with both teams again trading several punts. Upon getting the ball back Huntingdon threw an interception to Jesse Snyder, but the Bearcats were able to pick off a halfback pass and set up shop at Tyrone’s 49. However, Josh Crabtree intercepted Young on the last play of the half, ending another Huntingdon scoring threat.
The Golden Eagle offense finally showed up to open the second half, storming down the field on a 12 play, 71 yard drive. Running back Shane Christine ran for 22 yards on the drive, despite having a 30 yard jaunt called back on a penalty. Quarterback Brandon Maceno threw to Jeremy Myers three times for 24 yards on the drive, and hit tight-end Tad Chamberlain for a 13 yard touchdown. The extra point was blocked, but Tyrone had narrowed the gap to 13-6.
The Bearcats came right back when Dan Hooper returned the ensuing kickoff the whole way down to Tyrone’s 28 yard line. Hooper kept the ball moving, carrying the ball out of the backfield 5 straight times, including a 2 yard run on fourth and one. On the next play Matt Young hooked up with Jared Goss for a 7 yard touchdown pass, and after the extra point Huntingdon was up 20-6.
The Golden Eagles showed the heart that their coach spoke of with 6 seconds left in the third quarter. Quarterback Bill Schreckengost came in for an injured Maceno, and led his team on an 87 yard touchdown drive to bring the Eagles within 8. The drive started slowly, with Tyrone facing a third and ten deep in their own territory. Schreckengost hit Chamberlain over the middle for 12 yards to keep the drive going, and from there the offense got rolling. Two plays later, on 1st down, Schreckengost went deep to Jason Wilson for a 40 yard pass play. Three straight runs gained only 9 yards, and Tyrone was forced to go for it on fourth and short. The Bearcats were caught off guard when Shcreckengost again went to Wilson, who took the spot pass 6 yards for a touchdown.
The two point play failed, and after a squib kick the Golden Eagle defense was forced to stop the Bearcats to keep Tyrone alive.
Huntingdon took the ball with just over 5 minutes to play, and ran off a few minutes before having to punt. However, running into the kicker was called against Tyrone, and the Bearcats took over at midfield. The Golden Eagle defense stood tall again, but the Tyrone offense was left with too little time to score.